Friday, August 27, 2010

kisses

My ovaries like to be BFFs during IVF cycles. Our last cycle? My right ovary "swung down" so that it was right next to my left ovary. Just hanging out next to his buddy. I knew my ovaries felt "full" the past few days, but that was definitely confirmed this morning. The doctor first scanned my left ovary and then moved approximately 2 inches to my right ovary. Even MBL noticed how close together they were. He even said to the doc, "Wow her right ovary is hanging down low, isn't it?" To which Doctor McCranky Pants answered, "Well, it's always hung down low." Does your ovary hang low.... Sure, doc, maybe it does hang down lower than the left regularly, but not as low as it is now. I swear it is right near my uterus and potentially putting pressure on my bladder (I had to pee three times in one hour...and, no, I do not have a UTI). Anyways, I just think it's cute that my ovaries want to be such good buddies. I hope they are a good friend to me and give me lots of pretty eggs that turn into nice embabies.

Now on to an update on my cycle. I went in for monitoring this morning (hence the story above) and the doc let me know that my ovaries do not agree with one another. He said the left is aiming for a Sunday retrieval and the right is aiming for a Monday retrieval. And then he made a joke about how the right and left never seem to get along. He has never once told me that things look good or encouraged me during my cycle, despite his claims that he feels "very maternal" towards his patients. At my first ultrasound monitoring appointment he told me he was surprised more follicles didn't develop. Nice. Way to kick me when I'm down! But, I digress. So, when I called the nurse for my instructions for this evening I asked her for my estradiol level (because I love information on my cycle) and then asked how things were looking. Her response was so cheery and the tone in her voice immediately put me at ease! She told me that I have 8 great looking follicles and that I will likely have more and that everything looks really good for this cycle. YES! She gave me the reassurance I needed! So, I have eight great looking follies and an estradiol level of 1272. I took 300 units of Gon.al F tonight and I have to go in tomorrow for ultrasound and bloodwork. The nurse was fairly confident that tomorrow will be my last appointment with Doctor Crankypants and that I will have retrieval on Monday. Sounds good to me! I honestly can't believe how fast this cycle has flown by. I've hardly noticed that we're in the middle of an IVF cycle; except for the morning appointments and the ache in my ovaries. I guess that's a good thing? So, tomorrow evening we leave for Chicago. We will spend Sunday hanging out with my family and then retrieval (hopefully) on Monday.

Really excited for the possibilities!!

5 comments:

  1. People who can't be at least mildly encouraging shouldn't be IVF docs. Seriously. I mean, there is something to be said for honesty, but c'mon. Glad the nurse was more reassuring! Can't wait to hear about retrieval! Enjoy this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoooooHooooo. So glad that things are going well and that you on track. I too wish that RE's gave a bit a more during those morning appts, I think they do not realize just how much anxiety goes into every scan and blood test for us. I am pulling for you on Monday!!! I hope you get to relax this weekend, I know I tend to fell sluggish and bloated right before a retrieval. Keep us posted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck tomorrow! I have never heard if ovaries cozy-ing up. Very sweet visual :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! Have fun in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodbye Dr. CrankyPants! I'll be cheering for you on Monday!

    ReplyDelete