Tuesday, October 5, 2010

still here!

I'm still here! I cannot believe that I haven't posted in a week! Whew has the time flown by! So the reason I have been MIA? We went to Chicago for the weekend to tell my family :). We also had an ultrasound with our RE. We drove down Thursday night and got there kind of late. We stayed up for a bit chatting with my mom and then snuggled in for the night. Friday we got up and headed to our RE's office for our ultrasound! They were super generous and snuck us in even though they were all booked up. To my surprise, the RE actually did the ultrasound. I was SOO thankful that we were able to talk with him about how things were going. We explained to him that due to my spotting we had already had an ultrasound that week and that they had seen an implantation bleed. The ultrasound tech at our OB also said that she thought I had a heart shaped uterus, so we asked him about that as well. He didn't see the implantation bleed at Friday's ultrasound, but he did explain that about 2/3 of his patients spot in the first trimester. He also said that, in his experience, spotting does not correlate with miscarriage. Basically he said 10% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, 10% of the spotters and 10% of the non-spotters. He also said that he doesn't think I'll be one of those people. The baby was measuring 6w2d (even though I was 6w4d). That measurement was perfect because it showed me that it had grown since our appointment on Wednesday. The doc assured us that measuring a bit "behind" at this point is not a big deal and that they would only begin to worry if we started measuring a week or more behind (we got the same schpeel at the OB). We did see the heartbeat (again!), but the doc did not measure it. He said he does not like to use the doppler, especially this early. From what I could tell, the baby's heartbeat looked faster and was definitely still beating (YAY!).

After our appointment, MBL went back to my parent's house to work and I went to the pumpkin patch with my mom, my sister, and my nephews. It was SOOO fun! I just loved walking around with my nephews and seeing their wonder and awe at everything. We got chinese food for dinner for a very special reason...we used fortune cookies with specialty messages to tell our parents that we are expecting! Basically I goog.led creative ways to tell people and that was my favorite one. It went a little differently than I was anticipating, but it was still super fun to see my parents' reactions. My mom asked for a cookie first (while my dad was outside) and when she opened she just yelled and smiled. It was perfect. When my dad came in, we had him open one as well and he just smiled and asked if it was real (it is :). We told MBL's parents on Sunday. They didn't want chinese, so we ended up wrapping up Grandma and Grandpa ornaments for them. They were surprised and asked if we knew what we were having. Overall, I am very happy with how things turned out!

MBL and I are feeling pretty hopeful about things. We've had three good ultrasounds and my spotting has basically stopped. It is also reassuring that I have been pretty sick. I haven't thrown up yet, but not because I haven't tried or felt like it. I've been on uni.som and b6 since last Monday night and yesterday I broke down and called my OB for a prescription for zof.ran. Don't get me wrong, I am beyond thankful to be pregnant and I will not moan/complain too much...but, I guess I wasn't expecting my nausea to be as bad as it is. It's only hard at this point because I am doing my internship and working and so I am out of the house about 50 hours a week...and feeling all pukey away from home is not my fave. Oh well. I'll take it...especially if it means that my baby is growing as it should!

Phew! That was a long post. I promise to be better from here on out. We have our OB appointment and a follow-up ultrasound on Friday...so, I'll definitely be posting after that!


  1. I am so thrilled for you!!! I LOVE the fortune cookie idea, adorable!! I can't imagine how excited the grandparents to be are with this wonderful news!!! Yay for a great u/s too!! :)

  2. I've been so curious how it went! So glad your ultrasound at the RE went well! And he's right - early on it is common to measure behind and then all of the sudden one day it will have grown like a week and a half's worth. ;-)

    Looking forward to seeing you Thursday!

  3. I am so glad to hear things are going well! I was soooo worried! I know the nausea blows...I have had it BAD - throwing up ALLLLL day, but hang in there. It will get better, though it doesn't feel like it :). Congrats on the good news.

  4. Yea! I'm so glad everything is going smoothly and that you were able to spill the beans to the parents.

  5. i told my parents this weekend too. even though they don't know the details, they know we've been trying hard for years. i think that made the news that much sweeter for them too. so glad i told them in person!

    my nausea is really bad too--i try to keep distracted to take my mind off of it. and, i eat constantly--healthy things but still, it's got to stop once i feel better :)