Monday, March 1, 2010

adventures in babymaking

As the months drag on, it is funny how I still find myself believing in the possibility that this month could be it. Hey, as long as I ovulate, then a miracle could happen, right? Well, this month I took Clomid and ended up with FOUR follicles. SWEET!! Sure, statistically, it is unlikely that any one of DH's little guys would make it to any one of those eggs, but at least they have more targets! And, again, who knows! Anyways, so I had taken the clomid, done a trigger shot and knew when I was likely to ovulate. DH and I scheduled our BDing time and I decided that for good measure I would let it all "marinate" over night. Usually I just lay down for 20-30 minutes, get up to use the restroom, and then lay back down. Well, I will NEVER forgo that route again!! I woke up at 2am Thursday morning with the ouch, ouchiest pee of my life!! I woke up DH and he ran to the 24 hour store to get me cranberry juice. I barely slept and called the doctor's office as soon as they opened. My doctor explained to me that I did, indeed, have a UTI and then gave me a list of causes. I then, sheepishly, explained to her how I was ovulating and didn't want to let anything "spill out." She laughed and then advised me against doing that in the future. TRUST ME I NEVER WILL!!!

On a different note, DH is scheduled for surgery in one week. We met with the urologist on Thursday and he explained what he would do in the surgery. I think DH is still a little nervous, but as the urologist explained, doing the surgery will help in the QUALITY of the sperm. It is my personal belief that one of the reasons our IVF didn't work is that the varicocele has damaged my DH's swimmer's DNA. And, yes, there is even research out there to back me up :). Too bad the varicocele surgery wasn't recommended to us prior to us spending $6,000 on our first IVF. Oh well.

Finally, I got some awesome news on Friday. See, last May I lost my job, basically due to the bad economy here. Since then I have been looking for employment that was both meaningful and would help us finance our baby dreams. In August I got a job as a nanny for 20-30 hours a week. It is definitely an interesting profession for an infertile to fill, but as it turns out my employer had her own fertility issues to conquer in order to get her little guy. Anyways, I had interviewed a few other part time positions in the fall and then laid off on the job searching hoping easing the stress would help us conceive. Oh naivete! Fast forward 6 months and I had to gear up for job searching round two. Well after three interviews and three job offers I was offered a part time position IN MY FIELD and at a rate HIGHER than I was making at the job I was let go from. HOOWA!!!!!!! I haven't been this excited in MONTHS!!! With that additional income we will be able to finance another IVF in August/September, IF we even need to (eternal optimist here). 2009 was a sucky, sucky year. SO GLAD that 2010 is shaping up to top it already :).

4 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well with DH's surgery...and I am so sorry about the UTI...that just sucks.

    I am new to your blog and I am looking forward to following you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogging world! Found you thru LFCA.

    Best wishes for DH surgery! And congrats on the job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogging and best wishes for your next few weeks! I hope the surgery goes well and that 2010 is so much better than years past :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there done that with the "marinating!"

    So happy for your new job and that it will put you closer to your next round of IVF, if, of course, it is even needed. Lots of prayers!

    ReplyDelete