Today I am 10dpo or 5 days past my 5 day transfer. Today is the day on which I got my BFP with Piper. That won't be happening this time around as my stupid trigger has been lingering about. This morning involved trying to figure out if today's test looked the same or darker than yesterday's. Last time around my trigger was gone by 7dpo, so when I got a positive on 10dpo, I knew it was the real deal. This time around, I'm guessing that tomorrow's test will either be negative or have a faint positive that I can count on being real. If I don't have a second pink line by Tuesday (13dpo), then I will (more or less) know that we need to start talking about what comes next.
Speaking of that, while I've tried to stay focused on this current cycle, I can't help but think ahead to if it doesn't/didn't work. I wouldn't consider myself a Type A planner, but I do like to have a plan. Especially because I refuse to exit 2012 unpregnant. On our trip back to my parents' house from our transfer, I began googling like a mad woman. One of the biggest things I wanted to find out is why we would go from 8 healthy embryos on day three to only one on day five. And what I discovered is that it may not be my fault! Up until this cycle, we were beginning to think that maybe there was an issue with my eggs. And while I don't have a ton of time to waste, things are not as dire as we were led to believe. From my research I learned that embryo growth to day three has a lot to do with egg quality, but any problems that emerge from day three to day five may be the fault of the sperm. And, more specifically, it's DNA. There are a number of factors that can influence that DNA and MBL has red flags for nearly all of them. Some of them are lifestyle choices and others are simply biological. Having poor sperm DNA is bad news. Now, we have no idea if MBL has damage or not. We never got the DNA test because we assumed his male factor was under control by doing ICSI. From what I've read, though, this isn't the case. Sperm with bad DNA can still fertilize an egg and can still create growing embies. And here I thought I had read everything!
So, the basic plan is to keep testing and see what happens this cycle. If it's a BFN, MBL and I will fork over the $375 to see how his swimmers measure up. If it's a BFP, we will wait a while and then do the test at the end of the pregnancy.
I honestly have no idea what the outcome of this cycle is going to be. The only "symptom" I have is increased sense of smell. And that might be all in my head :). It would be awesome if I got a BFP. Just awesome. I guess we'll soon find out...