Friday, March 2, 2012

stress... eating? shopping? running?

Ever since I started the birth control on Monday, I've been feeling "off". I haven't done well on the pill in the past and it appears that nothing has changed. It's hard to put into words, but being on it really messes with my hormones and my overall attitude. I tend to look on the negative side of everything and walk around with an attitude of dissatisfaction. This is not helpful in my marriage and it certainly isn't helpful when I am trying to remain optimistic about our upcoming cycle. So, I try to find things I can do to de-stress.

The thing I want to do most is eat this:


(source)

I love Chipotle. I always get the vegetarian burrito bowl with guacamole. YUM! I would seriously eat it every day if it weren't for the number of points plus I would have to use to do that! And now that I am trying to avoid carbs and eat loads of protein, I'm steering clear of it for the time being. It would seriously be so easy for me to eat my feelings, but since that won't get me any closer to fitting into my size 8's, I refuse to do it.


(source)

Another thing I tend to do when I am stressed is go shopping. I guess that makes me a stress shopper. The dress above is one I am eyeing from Tar.get. So cute! I love the tie waist and the coral color! And it's not that expensive ($27.99). BUT, we are really counting our pennies in order to afford IVF again. PLUS, I'm hoping that I won't need to buy non-maternity clothes.

I would much rather have a reason to buy this:


(source)

Earlier this week I was feeling completely hopeless. I was convinced that this cycle would not work (yes, before it's really begun). Now, I'm looking at it with complete optimism. I even went ahead and purchased two maternity items that were on mega clearance from Old Navy. Talk about a 180! Now I'm just hoping that I'll have a reason to purchase the cute number above!

What I should really be doing with all this nervous energy is pounding the pavement:


(source)

I used to be so disciplined when it came to running. When I was a sophomore in college, no matter how busy I was, I always found a way to sneak in a good run at the gym. I could run 6-7 miles on the treadmill easily. Now? I struggle for the motivation and energy to get in 3. But, I keep doing it because I know that it is good for me. Good for my body and good for my mind. (although I would rather just sit on the couch and eat a burrito!)

What do you do to de-stress? Are there any specific foods you crave when you're hormonal/stressed? Any good habits you care to pass along?

9 comments:

  1. This cycle I've been really stresses, especially since I started progesterone. I hear you about hating messing with your hormones and how it affects your ability to cope with stress.

    I've been keeping myself distracted with my volunteer projects, and I'm also working on starting a container garden. But mostly I'm indulging my love of learning about baby gear. Today I spent about an hour on YouTube watching how-to videos for baby wearing. I'm optimistic enough right now that it doesn't make me depressed to watch them, but its also not feeding any cycle-specific fantasies. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birth control is seriously like rat poison to me. I become a complete and utter psycho on it. Gah. I eat when I'm stressed, for sure... usually chocolate... or beef... and especially Mexican. Mmmm. I think we'd be *bad* good friends. :) Other than that, my best de-stressing tip is to get an early start on that BD! :) LOL. A little *brown chicken brown cow* is good for the soul...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urgh, I can't take birth control it makes me insane! We have a place called Bullritos where I live it's like Chipolte, but they serve excellent margaritas and offer free ice cream! It is death for points+!

    I started a couch to 5 k! It's killing me!

    Good luck with improving your lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No fun with the birth control!!! Yuck. I am sorry you are feeling out of sorts... that is not good. Hopefully you will get through it soon and on to the more fun stuff... making a baby :)


    And I hear you with Chipotle... YUMMMMMMM.

    So excited to hear what's next after you get through the BC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That blue dress is adorable!! I am going to look for a non-maternity version.

    Good luck with this cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We NEED a Chipotle in our city. I keep hearing such awesome things. And I LOVE me some Mexican food! And hey, don't feel bad. I have never even been able to run 1 mile without stopping. Can you say Fatty, Fatty, Two-by-Four?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, found your blog on iclw. I am on a low carb/amylose diet right now and just finished my first dose of clomid for baby #2 and I want to eat/drink the following: an entire sheet cake, a spicy chicken sandwich with fries and a frosty from Wendy's and a huge glass of milk.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaannnnnnd ... now I'm totally craving Chipotle veggie tacos, no rice, spicy salsa, extra guac. Yum!

    I always crave chocolate when I'm stressed, and usually give in to it. The best advice I have is to run, or do some other exercise, early in the day if you can. Having already done something healthy makes me less likely to want to eat unhealthily later.

    And happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete